Mason Jars Labels, Lid Inserts, Insulators, Lid Openers And Other 28 Ideas for Your Mason Jars
Are you a professional photographer looking for an aesthetic container for your food photo session? Or are you an Instagram enthusiast sharing your morning drinks? Or maybe, you are a hipster searching for the way-out accessories that arrest everyone's attention? Or you might be looking for a way to embellish your countertop in the kitchen or bathroom. Regardless of what your answer is, all the above needs can be fully satisfied, at first sight, with the help of a simple product – the Ball mason jars, the glass jars that became legendary due to their fantastical popularity. If you happen to know little about these legendary jars or you want to discover new ideas of how to recycle them for other uses rather than preserving foods, then read the article below to get your needs satisfied.
Table of Contents
As you can guess from the name, Mason is a surname of the jar founder. But if there is the only fact you know about these iconic jars, it is time to amplify your knowledge with more interesting details:
1. John L. Mason was a tinsmith, so there is no surprise that he invented the lid first. A new screw-thread jar was great for preserving foods and it substituted the wax canning method, which was tiresome and unsafe.
2. There were many attempts at creating a glass jar design. As a result, some jars of a tricky shape were produced in a limited amount. One of such vintage jars was sold for $2,499 and rated as the most expensive jar in the world.
3. Did you know that mason jars are mentioned in the Guinness Book of World Records! And not because of being an exceptional kitchen implement but for being a part of a large and colorful mason jar mosaic made of 2,000 jars.
4. Jarden Home Brands Ball Canning is the most popular company that produces mason jars. The sing Ball on a jar is iconic and can't be mixed with any other. They started production in 1884 and since that time manufactured billions of jars. Currently, every second 17 mason jars are produced.
5. Mason jar is the only jar that has a rich variety of jar accessories. Due to them, mason jars are used for very many purposes including food preserving, storing and organizing items, decorating and sorting.
It is indeed hard to find any other jar that won the hearts of the whole nation and got popular far abroad. When John L. Mason was thinking of an easier way for food canning, he could hardly imagine how far the popularity of his jars could go. Now, this glass item can boast a rich assortment of jar accessories from as simple as just a plastic lid to really tricky ones. All of them just add to the variety of jar implementation. Here you will find a list of different jar acessories that help to turn a jar into a quite new device.
Customize your jars with the help of cute and stylish jar labels. Picture your homemade jams or sauces in mason jars with handwritten labels on. It definitely adds some coziness to any handmade canning. Being the jar accessories for multiple uses, labels are great for gifting, organizing, and branding.
A full bundle of excellent labels that look like real chalkboards. They are black and matte. Take a marker and enjoy the magic: this is a liquid chalk that after drying looks excellent. Once on a jar, it gives it an organized and aesthetic attractiveness. You can change the note by wiping it with a wet towel.
- Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Based on 220 customer reviews.
- Pros: 72 labels in a pack, matte, large, marker is included, reusable.
- Cons: chalk may be weak.
- Price: $9.99
If black labels are not your style, try these cute kraft paper ones. They are of various shapes and sizes to fit any jar. Write, peel and stick – these are simple actions you need to do. The labels are a nice tool to keep your things organized at home or in the office.
- Amazon rating: 5 out of 5 stars. Based on 4 customer reviews.
- Pros: 192 labels in a pack, stick smoothly without wrinkles, works great for any surface, a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Cons: No.
- Price: $9.99
Are you in search of perfect labels? Here they are! They provide you with plenty of room to write. They stick quite firmly but at the same time they peel off easily. You won't need to scrub the adhesive off or soak a jar in water. Once you use up the inside of the jar, wash it and stick a new label for new content.
- Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Based on 1,136 customer reviews.
- Pros: 60 labels per box, easy to peel off, dissolved in water, large, convenient dispenser box, inexpensive.
- Cons: adhesive may stay on a paper instead of a label.
- Price: $4.5
Jar accesories such as lid inserts were probably created by thrifty engineers for thrifty people who like to adapt anything to their needs. As for mason jars, lid inserts are numerous and versatile. Just think about what you want to use a jar for and pick up a certain device. For mason jar enthusiasts, here are some most popular inserts you may like:
If you like Mason jars as much as we do, you may want to turn it into a stylish soap dispenser. What you need is a lid with a dispenser itself. This soap pump is vintage inspired: stylish, metal, and silver finished. It does not drip soap and looks beautiful. So if you need nice aesthetics with a good price, opt for this soap pump.
- Amazon rating: 3.7 out of 5 stars. Based on 570 customer reviews.
- Pros: great gift idea, does not drip soap, quality product, nice decor element, solid jar glass.
- Cons: it gets rusted pretty soon.
- Price: $16.99
5. Jar Sprayer
Your flowers and linen might need some spray. If so, there is a functional jar accessory lid insert. The hose is quite long but easy to be adjusted to any regular-mouth mason jar. It creates a fine mist and it is BPA free if this is your concern. Made of high-quality plastic, you will never have problems with rust and stains.
- Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars. Based on 153 customer reviews.
- Pros: high-quality plastic, no leakage, creates mist, fits normal jar mouth, long plastic stem.
- Cons: no stream option.
- Price: $7.99
6. Juicer Lid
There is no need to buy a stand-alone juicer if you have an extra mason jar; just opt for a juicer lid and turn your glass jar into a sophisticated device. A juicer adapter fits a wide mouth, so keep that in mind when buying. This is an excellent invention for a jar lover, who can't imagine the life with no jars around.
- Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars. Based on 41 customer reviews.
- Pros: easy to clean, convenient, great idea, works great, sturdy plastic, inexpensive.
- Cons: No.
- Price: $6.50
Do you have a sweet tooth? If so you might love raw honey, thus you might need a nice honey holder. If you are deciding on which one to choose, think of a honey lid. It fits a regular mason jar mouth and has a deeper. This is a simple and effective lit that will protect your honey from the unwanted invasion of other sweet lovers, ants for example.
- Amazon rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars. Based on 99 customer reviews.
- Pros: sturdy, keeps ants out, seals tight, looks nice, effective, easy to use, dishwasher safe.
- Cons: needs a ring, single color option.
- Price: $5.94
8. Jar Pour
Currently, more people give preference to glass containers rather than plastic because of chemical and environmental reasons among the others. If you are such a person, this jar lid may change your life and be a sign of your deep eco-friendly concern. It is tight and reliable. Except for beverage, it can also be used for other purposes, like for storing flour, sugar and other free-flowing ingredients.
- Amazon rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars. Based on 1,274 customer reviews.
- Pros: high-quality plastic, tight cap, no spills, fits wide jar mouths, convenient for drinking, available in many colors.
- Cons: may leak when not tight closed.
- Price: $7.99
9. Spice Lid
Turn your regular-mouth mason jars into a set of stylish spice jars! Having two options (for pouring and shaking), this jar accessory has multi-purpose choices for use. You can also insert a spoon and scoop the spices out. Be it pepper, cinnamon, cocoa powder or even parmesan cheese – the lid works wonderfully for any of them.
- Amazon rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars. Based on 21 customer reviews.
- Pros: excellent hole size, convenient to use, fits regular jar mouth, multi-purpose, high-quality plastic.
- Cons: the lids do not stay open.
- Price: $4.66
10. Tea Infuser Lid
If you are an ecologically-minded person, you are probably open-minded to new ideas friendly toward the environment. Tea infuser lid, which is made of recycled material, can be a nice proof of your serious intentions. This lid will transfer your regular-mouth jar into a professional teapot. So there is no need to buy a new teapot, instead, decide on a new jar accessory and enjoy your tea time!
- Amazon rating: 2.8 out of 5 stars. Based on 12 customer reviews.
- Pros: convenient, excellent for loose tea brewing, holes of good size.
- Cons: it needs to fill the jar up to the top.
- Price: $8.40
11. Sprouting Lid
For the fans of fresh greenery, there is a special sprouting lid. The holes are made in a way to not let the seeds fall out. It is plastic so there won't be any rust. It can also be used for rinsing rice and other cereals. Made of high-quality plastic, this lid fits wide-mouth mason jars.
- Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars. Based on 90 customer reviews.
- Pros: convenient, plastic, bright color, perfect size of holes, sturdy.
- Cons: it may leak.
- Price: $7.00
Turn your mason jar into an elegant toothbrush holder with the help of this jar accessory. It perfectly matches lid soap dispenser and adds some stylish touch to your bathroom. You can open it anytime for cleaning, what can't be done with a closed toothbrush holder. Made of stainless steel, it is fully adapted to damp environment.
- Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars. Based on 18 customer reviews.
- Pros: looks beautiful, sturdy, made of stainless steel, fits wide-mouth jars.
- Cons: no hole for the toothpaste.
- Price: $8.99
There is nothing more romantic than trembling candles at a dinner table. These beautiful jar accessories will help you add some positive vibes and atmosphere to any event. They are great for holiday decoration as well as a gift idea. Once hung, they look like vintage lanterns. Enjoy the loveliness of starred candle light!
- Amazon rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars. Based on 17 customer reviews.
- Pros: 3 in a set, available in two colors (black, silver), has a handle option, looks great.
- Cons: No.
- Price: $14.99
Mason jars got so popular in the USA that it turned into a kind of jar cult. Jar enthusiasts are restlessly creative in applying these glass containers for purposes that are hard to imagine. With the help of certain jar accessories, it is possible to turn a jar into a beautiful interior item, a spice holder, a soap dispenser, etc. Though among the most popular uses, jars are often exploited for drinking. To make it easier to hold a jar as well as to protect your hands from burning, the jackets were created. Have a look at some of them:
Mason jars stood the test of time and proved to be reliable, eco-friendly and good for your health. To make them safer, use this silicone sleeve. It snugs a jar tightly to prevent it from slipping out, burning and striking. The protector is dishwasher and freezer safe. You can choose any color to brighten up your mood.
- Amazon rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars. Based on 52 customer reviews.
- Pros: rich color palette, non-toxic, reusable, functional, looks beautiful, fits perfectly, easy to grip.
- Cons: No.
- Price: $19.97
If you want to use more glass and less plastic, try this jar jacket to protect your glass mason jar from knocking around. It looks cheerful and helps to keep hot drinks hotter and cold drinks colder for longer without burning/freezing your fingers. Made of neoprene fabric, it is available in a variety of funny prints.
- Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars. Based on 117 customer reviews.
- Pros: a variety of prints, looks cute, washing machine safe, protects from knocking, a good insulator.
- Cons: fits a bit loose.
- Price: $5.49
Do you like stylish drinking mugs? Then turn your Ball jar into one of them. It was a brilliant idea to snug a jar into this leather sleeve and add a handle. This cozy is a great gift idea for coffee lovers and Ball jar fans. It provides a tight fit and looks as a long-time lasting jar accessory.
- Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars. Based on 12 customer reviews.
- Pros: excellent quality, tight fit, convenient handle, looks stylish.
- Cons: it sweats with very cold drinks.
- Price: $12.99
Opening certain jars can be daunting and frustrating. It may seem as if the lid is glued, so stubborn it is. Even if you try to grip a jar, your hand may slip making all your efforts vain. And you start all over again. Lid grips and convenient lid openers were designed to make your life much easier and less tough. Among the below jar accessories for opening what is your favorite?
How many devices do you know that have a lifetime replacement warranty? You can add this one to your short list of the existing. It is a multi-tool for opening jar lids of any size regardless of how stubborn they might be. You don't need to obtain special skills or have strong hands to unscrew a lid, you just need to have this gripper at hand.
- Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Based on 732 customer reviews.
- Pros: easy to use, fits any lid size, easy to grab, compact, bright, not slippy, lays comfortably in a hand.
- Cons: does not for soda bottle screw.
- Price: $7.09
18. Jar Grips
To prevent a jar from slipping off your hands use the rubber jar grips. You don't need to grab a kitchen towel anymore, which in fact is less effective than these rubber grips. Being of different size and shapes, they are designed to help in opening any lid. They are good for people with less strength in hands.
- Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars. Based on 475 customer reviews.
- Pros: 3 in a set, have various size and texture, sturdy, do not wear out after numerous openings, colorful, easy to notice in the kitchen, good helpers in opening.
- Cons: still requires grip strength.
- Price: $4.99
This simple tool adjusts to any jar size, so it is like having one multi-functional device instead of many. It is compact and easy to grab. It does not require much hand strength to unscrew a lid. This opener is good for aging hands that lack enough strength. The twist knob on the top does not make any trouble. Enjoy your opened jars!
- Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars. Based on 597 customer reviews.
- Pros: sturdy, dishwasher safe, has a hole for hanging, does not demand much strength to open, convenient size.
- Cons: should be careful to not crash the jar.
- Price: $15.08
This is a 'shark' opener with very sharp teeth indeed. But if you don't need to enjoy an aesthetically beautiful and smooth lid, use this monster to get the lids up to 6'' opened. It is installed easily and merge into the kitchen interior perfectly being a thin and small helper. Moreover, you always have it at hand in the same place.
- Amazon rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars. Based on 1,793 customer reviews.
- Pros: simple design, easy to install, high-quality plastic, sturdy, made in the USA, opens lids fast and effortlessly.
- Cons: leave marks on lids.
- Price: $15.95
It is a hand saver for people suffering from arthritis or aging hand weakness. With a single push of the button, the lip pops open. So if you have ever had any difficulty with jar lids, you need this tool to tame them. Moreover, it is a real fun to watch it working. But don't be too enthusiastic otherwise, you risk opening more jars than you planned.
- Amazon rating: 3.8 out of 5 stars. Based on 2,454 customer reviews.
- Pros: easy operation, effortless process, compact, convenient, excellent for weak hands, durable.
- Cons: does not work well with tapered glass jars.
- Price: $34.63
Some jar accessories are so unique that they just do not have similar items to be categorized in a separate group. Just like a stretch of the human imagination is endless, the number of jar accessories is unlimited, so it is really hard to pick out only some of them. With that, below you will find most interesting ideas of how to convert a standard Ball jar into an exceptional item.
A sewer always lacks boxes, jars or other containers for storing all the items needed for sewing. It is actually hard to find a good organizer unless this is a caddy for a mason jar. This skirt-like silicone jar accessory allows to keep all the tools in one place. A nice idea for a sewing fanatic.
- Amazon rating: 3.8 out of 5 stars. Based on 5 customer reviews.
- Pros: holes for scissors, fits a wide-mouth jar, pin cushion, two colors available.
- Cons: cushion is too tough.
- Price: $16.99
23. Frog Lid Inserts
There is a rare person who has a variety of vases at home. If there are little flowers, you can grab a jar to put the flowers in. But some flowers may fall out of an improvised vase and spoil the impression. You should use frog lid inserts to not that happen. This is a crafty device so loved by florists and amateurs.
- Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars. Based on 132 customer reviews.
- Pros: works great with ball jars, excellent for flower arrangements, sturdy, metallic.
- Cons: needs smaller holes.
- Price: $4.72
24. Jar Wire Handles
This simple jar accessory can turn a common mason jar into a hanging patio light, decor item, flower vase, and more. It will help you keep the things you want off the table or floor. The handles are larger and sturdy. These handles can be a nice addition to your collection of other jar accessories.
- Amazon rating: 3.6 out of 5 stars. Based on 181 customer reviews.
- Pros: sturdy wire, 3 handles in a pack, multi-purpose, excellent quality, long handles.
- Cons: need a pair of pliers or strong hands to attach to a jar.
- Price: $7.16
25. Piggy Bank Lid
Do your kids still use a piggy bank for collecting coins? Some banks are really cute that even adults like them. Now you can make a DIY piggy bank with the help of a mason jar and a piggy-like jar accessory. Just assemble them together for a classic bank or add some childish decor for a kid's version. If you really want this pig to save money, add some glue to the rim.
- Amazon rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars. Based on 9 customer reviews.
- Pros: funny, functional, bright, excellent idea for a present, kid love.
- Cons: a ring is flimsy.
- Price: $4.91
What can be better than a homemade jam in a ball jar? The same jam in the jar with a jar-shaped wooden tag! It sounds like a mason jar obsession. Tags are cute and sturdy specifically made to highlight any jar content. It can be a nice idea for a present and decoration. You can use them with your children for creating a unique tag.
- Amazon rating: no rating and reviews yet.
- Pros: sturdy, wooden, 8 in a package, have a string, excellent idea for a present.
- Cons: no.
- Price: $10.28
If you are in search of stylish jar accessories that can embellish your interior or highlight the existing style, have a look at these wall decorations. They are made to attract the complements! These are handmade items created from a piece of solid wood. They are possible to be used as vases for real or fake flowers.
- Amazon rating: 5.0 out of 5 stars. Based on 47 customer reviews.
- Pros: 2 items in a set, excellent for gifting, well-made, beautiful.
- Cons: no.
- Price: $36.00
Moving jars can be tricky. You have to either wrap each jar to not let it rattle around in the box or opt for this protector. It is sturdy enough for transporting the jars in it. It also makes a pantry storage much easier. Now you can stack these box protectors on the shelves and save much space.
- Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars. Based on 100 customer reviews.
- Pros: works great for pantry shelves, good for a move, excellent jar organizer, saves space.
- Cons: takes more space than jars themselves.
- Price: $9.74
When John Mason created his first jar, his initial idea was to ease canning. He could hardly imagine how great his jars would be! Apart from preserving foods, now mason jars are used for many other purposes you did not know they could be used for. Here are some most unexpected of them:
1. Jar bakeware! - You can bake in a jar anything you like, especially if you need to serve individually. Add to it some décor and make your guests to give a gasp of surprise.
2. Jar gardening! - Recycle your mason jars by planting sprout, cilantro or oregano seeds in it. Water them regularly but keep in mind there is no a draining system in a jar.
3. Jar snow globe! - You will need some winter and jar accessories. Take a fake tree, some other Christmas decorations, fake snow and a glues gun. Stick a tree to a jar lid, pour liquid, shake and enjoy!
4. Jar terrarium! - If you want to have a jar-size ecosystem at home, make a terrarium. You will need a handful of soil, some stones, moss, and some little plants. Close a jar safely with a lid and enjoy a long-lasting life behind the glass!
5. Jar photo frame! - One of the easiest ways to decorate your fireplace shelf with photos is to put them inside the jars. It is really a funny way to display your photos. It works great for vertical pictures.
6. Jar arts and crafts! - You can turn your jars into the candle holder or flower vases or an organizer. Just take a piece of wood, rope two to tree jars to it and think of a content you would like to display.
7. Use it as an oil lamp! - If the cases of the power outage are rare, you can make oil lamps just to create a romantic atmosphere. Make a hole in the lid, run the rope, pour some oil in a jar and breath in the romance around!
Now that you know about the history of mason jars and their trail to the popularity, that you are aware of so many uses for these glass containers, what jar accessories would you like to choose for your next jar idea?